Click To Call

Email Us For A Free Consultation

No fees for inquiries

(Free consultations are available only in personal injury cases
& it costs nothing to inquire). All inquiries are confidential.
Read our disclaimer

Personal Injury Verdicts & Awards

Settlement Reached in Suit Involving Man who Suffered Irreversible Brain Damage

Citizens' Voice - Wilkes-Barre, PA
Nov. 2, 1999

By Tim Gulla
Staff Writer

Attorneys for a 50-year-old Exeter man who suffered irreversible brain damage following a 1998 kidney stone operation entered into a confidential settlement agreement on Monday with Wyoming Valley Health Care System and a Wilkes-Barre anesthesiologist.

A civil jury trial of Carmen Insalaco's lawsuit against the health care organization and the doctor was scheduled to begin Monday.

According to Joseph Quinn, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of Insalaco's wife, Gerri, the trial was expected to last eight to 10 weeks.

However, attorneys for the four parties who were involved in the suit informed the special trial master appointed to hear the case, Attorney Conrad Falvello, that a settlement has been reached.

Although he could not to go into detail about the confidential agreement, Quinn said on Monday that the settlement would allow Gerri Insalaco to bring her husband home from a Pittsburgh-area medical facility and would ensure that Carmen Insalaco would be provided with medical care and therapy.

A hospital system spokesperson stated: "Wyoming Valley Heath Care System is pleased to be able to reach settlement in this case. We would like to thank the judge (Michael Conahan) and the special trial master (Falvello) for their efforts in helping reach that settlement. That represents the extent of our comment at this time."

Judge Michael Conahan handled pre-trial matters in the case.

Quinn alleged that Carmen Insalaco's brain injury, which has left him unable to talk, walk or do anything independently, stemmed from the negligent management of anesthesia during a simple surgery.

According to the Insalaco family's lawsuit, Carmen Insalaco went into Wilkes-Barre General Hospital on April 1, 1998, with complaints of intense abdominal pain. He was diagnosed with an obstructed kidney and surgery was performed.

The Insalaco's family alleged that Carmen was evidencing signs of respiratory distress, wheezing, while he was being weaned off the anesthesia. Additionally, the family's lawsuit alleged that Carmen's oxygen saturation levels following the surgery were another sign that something was wrong.

However, it was alleged, the on-call anesthesiologist, Dr. Erwin Moritz, did not stay with Carmen Insalaco following the surgery. The lawsuit alleges he only stuck his head in the doorway to the operating room for five seconds.

The lawsuit alleges that Moritz, during his deposition, acknowledged that he should not have left the operating room if he knew Insalaco was wheezing. The lawsuit alleges that Moritz's employment contract mandated that he perform a post-anesthesia follow up by remaining with the patient as long as necessary; informing hospital personnel caring for the patient of any specific problems; determining when the patient can be discharged from the recovery room; and managing all anesthesia-related complications.

Despite testifying at his deposition that intubation and extubation are the two most important times in anesthesia, the lawsuit alleges, Moritz was not present during Carmen Insalaco's extubation.

And despite hospital policy and employment obligations, the lawsuit alleges, Moritz signed Insalaco's recovery assessment form in blank prior to leaving and noted that Insalaco had no complications in a post operative summary form.

Between 7:15 and 7:30 p.m. on April 1, 1998, it is alleged Insalaco suffered respiratory problems that deprived oxygen to his brain.

Despite those problems, Insalaco was transferred by a nurse from the operating room to the post anesthesia recovery unit at 7:32 p.m. At 7:47 p.m., he suffered cardiac arrest, according to the lawsuit.

From 7:32 p.m. until the cardiac arrest, the lawsuit claims, hospital records show that the only treatment Insalaco received was Proventil therapy.

The Insalaco family filed its 90-page lawsuit on June 15.

Gerri Insalaco commented on Monday, "I'm just happy it's finally settled and it's behind us." She added that she was very happy she could bring her husband home.

According to Quinn, Insalaco should never have been extubated, or weaned off the anesthesia while problems were evident. "The sad part is his condition was totally capable of being reversed," Quinn said.

According to Quinn, "The case was outrageously indefensible. This should have never happened."

Several months ago, Wyoming Valley Health Care System and a Kingston obstetrician were the subjects of a $6.7 million jury verdict in a medical negligence case. A confidential settlement on punitive damages was reached in that case. Quinn was the plaintiff's attorney in that lawsuit.

Pennsylvania Law Weekly
Volume XXIII, Number 5
Copyright 2000 by American Lawyer Media, ALM LLC

January 31, 2000

Verdicts and Settlements



Date of Verdict or Settlement: N/A
Court and Case Number: C.P. Luzerne No. 4188-C of 1998.
Judge: Conrad Falvello.

Type of Action: Medical malpractice.
Injuries: Generalized hypoxic encephalopathy.

Plaintiff(s)' Attorney(s): Joeph A. Quinn Jr., Michell M. Quinn and Melissa A. Scartelli, Wilkes-Barre.

Defense Attorney(s): Patrick Carey, Scranton; Jeffrey Tindall, Pittsburgh.

Plaintiff(s)' Expert(s): John Eichhorn, M.D.; Altole Jacobi, M.D.;- Sheldon Deluty, M.D.; Michael Booth, C.R.N.A., Lewis Mustard, Ph.D.; Faye Maria Kopplin, R.N.; Robert Voogt, Ph.D.; Richard Bonfiglio, M.D.; Gregory O'Shanick, M.D.; Richard Fischbein, M.D.; Andrew Verzilli, Ph.D.; William Black, M.D.; Robert O'Leary, M.D.

Defense Expert(s): Aaron Ehrenwerth, M.D.; Ronald Cranford, M.D.; Marcia Sipski, M.D.


Plaintiff Carmen Insalaco went to the emergency room at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital complaining of left lower quadrant pain. After he was examined, Insalaco was scheduled for a cystoscopy procedure, which is a visual examination of the bladder.

Insalaco was allegedly underventilated during the surgery, evidenced by the fact that his oxygen saturation level dropped from 99 percent to 97 percent. Ten minutes after the surgery was completed, Insalaco was placed on 100 percent oxygen and woke up wheezing.

The attending C.R.N~A. extubated Insalaco, although hospital policy required the attending anesthesiologist to be present for extubation. The anesthesiologist observed Insalaco's extubation for only a few seconds before indicating in a recovery assesment that the patient had no complications and was stable and then leaving the hospital.

Insalaco was having problems breathing, but the C.R.N.A. decided to discontinue his 100 percent oxygen mask and instead placed him on a 50 percent venti mask, apparently increasing his oxygen deprivation.

The nurse transferred Insalaco from the operating room to the PACU so a breathing treatment could be administered. When the nurse noticed that his condition continued to worsen without any sign of stopping, she questioned whether she had placed the tube into his esophagus in the original extubation and proceeded to extubate him again.

Insalaco suffered a cardiac arrest but after he was re-intubated, his vital signs returned strongly.

The anesthesiologist, Dr. Erwin Moritz, returned to the hospital and allegedly changed Insalaco's chart to indicate that he did have complications and that his condition was "unstable." Later that night, he also allegedly placed an addendum in Insalaco's file saying that he left the hospital just before the patient entered the PACU and that Insalaco was breathing well.

Insalaco suffered generalized hypoxic encephalopathy, a disease of the brain caused by oxygen deprivation that leads to brain damage, coma or a vegetative state.

Insalaco's wife sued for lost earning capacity, past and future medical costs, loss of consortium and negligent infliction of emotional distress.

The case settled before trial for $21 million.

PLEASE NOTE: Every case is fact specific, and these results do not guaranty the same results will be obtained in a different case.

About HKQ Law

Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn is considered one of the top civil litigation and commercial law firms that has had the privilege of representing more families in the courtroom than any other NEPA firm. The attorneys at HKQ Law have been honored as Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers, Best Law Firms by US News and World Report, and have received the AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbel. HKQ Law was recently recognized for one of the top 20 Verdicts in Pennsylvania.

The firm’s Personal Injury Team, led by Attorney Joe Quinn, Jr., has won some of the largest verdicts and settlements in the region's history. The Personal Injury Team focuses on a wide array of personal injury claims and civil litigation, including medical malpractice, auto and truck accidents, aviation accidents, unsafe vehicles, dangerous or defective products, workplace injuries (worker's compensation), construction site accidents, claim denials by insurance companies, dangerous drugs, defective children's products, nursing home abuse and neglect, and falls due to unsafe conditions (slip and fall).

Attorney Joseph A Quinn, Jr. is one of only 100 attorneys in the United States (and one of only three in Pennsylvania) honored with membership in the Inner Circle of Trial Advocates, and one of only 500 attorneys worldwide chosen to be a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. He has been a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer every year since the program began and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America every year since the publication was established in 1987. Best Lawyers also named him top personal injury attorney for Northeastern Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley. In addition, Best Lawyers, in conjunction with U.S. News & World Report, has designated HKQ a Tier 1 Best Law Firm across multiple categories in Northeastern Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley.

Since the inception of the firm, the Commercial / Corporate Team led by Attorney Allan Kluger has provided comprehensive, integrated legal services to many of Northeastern and Eastern Pennsylvania's largest corporations, businesses, banks, non-profits and institutions, handling matters involving labor and employment, wills, trusts and estate planning, estate administration, elder law, commercial transactions, residential and commercial real estate, zoning, land use and development, telecommunications, mediations and arbitrations, commercial litigation, title insurance, business planning and business succession, corporate/business structuring, employment discrimination law for employers, banking, creditor’s rights, finance, lender liability defense, covenants not to compete, construction law, mergers and acquisitions and other business matters.

Additional information can be found at or by calling (800) 760-1529.



As Hourigan, Kluger and Quinn addresses the concerns raised by COVID-19, the health and safety of our clients, employees and friends of the firm remain our top priority.

These are very difficult and scary times and we hope that you and your loved ones are safe and symptom free. We recognize that so many of you are understandably anxious about your health, the economic impact of this pandemic and all of the consequences of social isolation.

We also recognize that many of you are anxious about how the coronavirus is impacting the Court systems, our firm and your cases. Although all of our offices are closed, our firm has remained fully operational and we have initiated procedures that allow all of our attorneys and staff to work remotely from their homes. Each of us and our staff will respond to any emails and calls about your cases as quickly as possible.

Our Federal and State Courts have instituted significant changes in their calendars as a result of the coronavirus. Although most courthouses are closed to the public, and Hearings and Trials will be delayed for some time, there are matters that can proceed telephonically and by video. Despite these changes in the Court calendars, we are working diligently on your cases and are determined to do whatever we possibly can to assure an early and just recovery for you and your loved ones. Even under these difficult circumstances, we believe that "Nobody will work harder for you than we will."

With regard to new potential clients, we are not in a position to have an in-person new client meeting, but we will be conducting these initial meetings via phone. New potential clients should call us for a free telephone consultation at (570) 287-3000.


Back to Top