Preparing for Back to School
September 8th, 2017
As summer comes to an end, it’s hard to believe the summer break went so fast. Planning ahead can help your kids get back into the swing of school again, without missing a beat.
- Set your kids’ back to school sleep schedule 1-2 weeks before school actually starts. Going to bed earlier and waking up earlier can be very difficult for students. Get them acclimated before school starts again.
- Refresh everyone’s memories about screen time during school – what is allowed and what is not allowed – and hold firm.
- Develop a schedule of what their day will look like and help them manage it with apps like iHomework or MyHomeWork. Let your kids choose a planner they will be excited to use.
- Teach your kids how to prioritize and schedule their activities.
- If it’s a new school, visit the school ahead of time with your kids, so they are comfortable on the first day.
- Include your kids in back—to-school shopping for their clothes and their school supplies.
- Create a dedicated area for your kids to do their homework. Remove any distractions such as TVs and games from those areas.
- Encourage after-school activities to keep kids entertained, but not so many that is becomes overwhelming to manage.
- Pack school bags, gym bags and lunches the night before. Keep a small emergency allowance in their backpacks, just in case.
- Have backup transportation arranged, in case your kids miss their bus.
- Use positive phrases, such as “You can go outside after you finish your homework,” as opposed to “You’re not going anywhere til your work is done”.
- Keep an open line of communication with your kids’ teachers and reach out to them when your kids experience difficulties.
Remember, your kids take cues from you. So, stay calm, organized, and focused. And they will too.
Happy Back to School Season from HKQ Kids.
About Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn, PC
Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn is considered one of the top civil litigation and commercial law firms in Northeastern Pennsylvania. The firm’s Personal Injury Team has won some of the largest verdicts and settlements in the region's history and was recently recognized for one of the top 20 Verdicts in Pennsylvania.
The Personal Injury Team, led by Attorney Joseph A. Quinn, Jr. focuses on a wide array of personal injury claims and civil litigation, including medical malpractice, auto and truck accidents, aviation accidents, unsafe vehicles, dangerous or defective products, workplace injuries (worker's compensation), construction site accidents, claim denials by insurance companies, dangerous drugs, defective children's products, nursing home abuse and neglect, and falls due to unsafe conditions (slip and fall).
Attorney Joseph A. Quinn, Jr. is one of only 100 attorneys in the United States (and one of only three in Pennsylvania) honored with membership in the Inner Circle of Trial Advocates, and one of only 500 attorneys worldwide chosen to be a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. He has been a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer every year since the program began and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America every year since the publication was established in 1987. Best Lawyers also named him top personal injury attorney for Northeastern Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley. In addition, Best Lawyers, in conjunction with U.S. News & World Report, has designated HKQ a Tier 1 Best Law Firm for personal injury and medical malpractice litigation in Northeastern Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley.
Since the inception of the firm, the Commercial / Corporate Team led by Attorney Allan Kluger has provided comprehensive, integrated legal services to many of Northeastern and Eastern Pennsylvania's largest corporations, businesses, banks, non-profits and institutions, handling matters involving labor and employment, wills, trusts and estate planning, estate administration, elder law, commercial transactions, residential and commercial real estate, zoning, land use and development, telecommunications, mediations and arbitrations, commercial litigation, title insurance, business planning and business succession, corporate/business structuring, employment discrimination law for employers, banking, creditor’s rights, finance, lender liability defense, covenants not to compete, construction law, mergers and acquisitions and other business matters.
Additional information can be found at www.HKQLaw.com or by calling (800) 760-1529.