June 5th, 2018
We have all seen it – people walking through a mall, or down a street while looking down at their phones. Most are texting, messaging, or listening with headphones. Unfortunately, distracted walking can result in dangerous outcomes. As a matter of fact, there has been a 13% increase in pedestrian death rates, particularly in teens, age 12-19, since 2013.
At schools, the statistics can be even more alarming. According to a study conducted by Safe Kids Worldwide and the Alarming Dangers in School Zones Report, school zones are not excluded. Unsafe pickup or drop off behavior was observed in one in three drivers across 39,000 middle and high school students. And, 80% of all students participated in unsafe street crossing behavior. Drop-offs consisted of double parking and stopping in the middle of a crosswalk. Many drivers were also on their own phones during the drop off process. Beyond distracted walking, many school zones did not have clearly marked crosswalks as well as reinforced, reduced speed limits.
Here are a few steps to take to make sure your steps are safe:
- Enforce the “Heads Up, Phones Down” policy when walking, no matter where you and your family are.
- Pay close attention to school or event drop-offs. Watch for distracted walkers. Put your own phone down as well.
- If your school employs crossing guards, please be respectful, they are there to help ensure kids’ safety. Schools should be encouraged to enforce their school pick up and drop off policies.
- Drive cautiously. Be aware of buses, drop-offs, and pick-ups, and distracted walkers
- Follow the rules. Don’t drop your kids off in the crosswalk or double park. Don’t put your kids or anyone else’s kids in danger.
- Teach your family to always look left, right, then left again, and to always continue to look as they cross the street.
- Use the sidewalks and crosswalks. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic, as far left and as far off roadside as possible.
- Above all, be a good role model. Exhibit responsible cell phone use around your entire family.
- Stay safe!
About HKQ Law
HKQ Law is considered one of the top civil litigation and commercial law firms in Northeastern Pennsylvania. The firm’s Personal Injury Team has won some of the largest verdicts and settlements in the region's history and was recently recognized for one of the top 20 Verdicts in Pennsylvania.
The Personal Injury Team, led by Attorney Joseph A. Quinn, Jr. focuses on a wide array of personal injury claims and civil litigation, including medical malpractice, auto and truck accidents, aviation accidents, unsafe vehicles, dangerous or defective products, workplace injuries (worker's compensation), construction site accidents, claim denials by insurance companies, dangerous drugs, defective children's products, nursing home abuse and neglect, and falls due to unsafe conditions (slip and fall).
Attorney Joseph A. Quinn, Jr. is one of only 100 attorneys in the United States (and one of only three in Pennsylvania) honored with membership in the Inner Circle of Trial Advocates, and one of only 500 attorneys worldwide chosen to be a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. He has been a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer every year since the program began and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America every year since the publication was established in 1987. Best Lawyers also named him top personal injury attorney for Northeastern Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley. In addition, Best Lawyers, in conjunction with U.S. News & World Report, has designated HKQ a Tier 1 Best Law Firm for personal injury and medical malpractice litigation in Northeastern Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley.
Since the inception of the firm, the Commercial / Corporate Team led by Attorney Allan Kluger has provided comprehensive, integrated legal services to many of Northeastern and Eastern Pennsylvania's largest corporations, businesses, banks, non-profits and institutions, handling matters involving labor and employment, wills, trusts and estate planning, estate administration, elder law, commercial transactions, residential and commercial real estate, zoning, land use and development, telecommunications, mediations and arbitrations, commercial litigation, title insurance, business planning and business succession, corporate/business structuring, employment discrimination law for employers, banking, creditor’s rights, finance, lender liability defense, covenants not to compete, construction law, mergers and acquisitions and other business matters.
Additional information can be found at www.HKQLaw.com or by calling (800) 760-1529.