AFTER AN AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT
February 5th, 2018
| Nicole M. Santo
Statistics show that the average driver will be involved in four accidents during his or her lifetime. HKQ Law Attorney Nicole Santo points out “while we never know when accidents will happen, we can be prepared for when they do.” One way to prepare is to keep an “accident kit” in your car. Recommended items include an accident checklist, flashlight, set of cones or warning triangles. Remember, safety first.
- Stop the car as soon as possible. Do not leave the accident scene. In Pennsylvania, drivers leaving the scene of accident are subject to a fine and/or imprisonment.
- Turn off the engine and put your hazard lights on.
- Check for any injuries to yourself or your passengers. Keep in mind that common vehicle crash injuries such as whiplash do not show up right away. Don’t ignore pain that occurs hours or even days after the accident.
- Call 911 to inform the police and medical personnel. Don’t allow the other driver(s) talk you out of getting the police involved.
- Remove your vehicle from the roadway if the accident has not resulted in a serious injury or death. Moving your vehicle is required by Pennsylvania law, but only if your vehicle can be safely driven under its own power in its customary manner without further damage or hazard.
- Wait for the police. Ask the officer how you can obtain a copy of the police report.
- Gather information, including:
- other driver’s name, contact information, insurance information, license number
- vehicle descriptions and license plate number
- eyewitnesses’ names and contact information
- accident scene location and/or address
- police officer's name and badge number
- Document the scene. If it’s safe to do so, use your cell phone to take photographs of the vehicles involved in the accident, and the surroundings.
- Notify your insurance company.
If you’ve been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident as the result of someone else’s negligence, call HKQ Law at (800) 760-1529 to schedule your no-obligation consultation.
About Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn, PC
Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn is considered one of the top civil litigation and commercial law firms that has had the privilege of representing more families in the courtroom than any other NEPA firm. The attorneys at HKQ Law have been honored as Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers, Best Law Firms by US News and World Reports, and have received the AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbel. HKQ Law was recently recognized for one of the top 20 Verdicts in Pennsylvania.
The firm’s Personal Injury Team, led by Attorney Joe Quinn, Jr., has won some of the largest verdicts and settlements in the region's history, totaling over a half billion dollars on behalf of injured clients. The Personal Injury Team focuses on a wide array of personal injury claims and civil litigation, including medical malpractice, auto and truck accidents, aviation accidents, unsafe vehicles, dangerous or defective products, workplace injuries (worker's compensation), construction site accidents, claim denials by insurance companies, dangerous drugs, defective children's products, nursing home abuse and neglect, and falls due to unsafe conditions (slip and fall).
Attorney Joseph A. Quinn, Jr. is one of only 100 attorneys in the United States (and one of only three in Pennsylvania) honored with membership in the Inner Circle of Trial Advocates, and one of only 500 attorneys worldwide chosen to be a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. He has been a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer every year since the program began and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America every year since the publication was established in 1987. Best Lawyers also named him top personal injury attorney for Northeastern Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley. In addition, Best Lawyers, in conjunction with U.S. News & World Report, has designated HKQ a Tier 1 Best Law Firm for personal injury and medical malpractice litigation in Northeastern Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley.
Since the inception of the firm, the Commercial / Corporate Team led by Attorney Allan Kluger has provided comprehensive, integrated legal services to many of Northeastern and Eastern Pennsylvania's largest corporations, businesses, banks, non-profits and institutions, handling matters involving labor and employment, wills, trusts and estate planning, estate administration, elder law, commercial transactions, residential and commercial real estate, zoning, land use and development, telecommunications, mediations and arbitrations, commercial litigation, title insurance, business planning and business succession, corporate/business structuring, employment discrimination law for employers, banking, creditor’s rights, finance, lender liability defense, covenants not to compete, construction law, mergers and acquisitions and other business matters.
Additional information can be found at www.HKQLaw.com or by calling (800) 760-1529.