Facebook Pixel
HKQ Facebook PageHKQ's LinkedIn Page HKQ Law Firm You Tube Channel HKQ Scranton & Wilkes Barre PA Law Firm Home Page

Auto Insurance For Pedestrians

Attorney Brian McDonnell on Auto Insurance for PedestriansYou’re walking your dog and come to an intersection. You wait for the “walk” signal, start to cross the street and a car hits you. Like most people, you probably don’t know that your insurance policy will cover your injuries, even though you weren’t in your vehicle at the time of the accident.

Under the law, “occupying a vehicle” applies to injuries suffered while outside, adjacent to, or even some distance from a vehicle. If a vehicle hits you while you are walking, you should submit your medical bills first to your insurance company for payment under the available medical coverage. As long your injuries arose from the use or maintenance of a motor vehicle, your medical coverage should apply.

In Pennsylvania, you are required to have a minimum of $5,000 in medical coverage on your auto policy, but you can always purchase more. Review your policy and consider whether you have enough coverage should you or a family member be injured in a vehicle accident. If not, work with your insurance agent to make sure you have adequate coverage. 

If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact the experienced auto accident attorneys at Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn today for a free consultation at (570) 287-3000 or at www.HKQLAW.com.