Attorney Joseph E. Kluger is one of the two Managing Principals of HKQ Law, having earned a reputation as one of the most capable finance and business lawyers in Northeastern Pennsylvania. He also has a very strong concentration in real estate and estate planning/estate administration.
Attorney Kluger represents most of the lending institutions in and around Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties, as well as some of the largest manufacturers, residential and commercial developers, and educational institutions. His practice in estate planning/estate administration includes structuring simple to complex estate plans for his individual, elderly and corporate clients in addition to working through Pennsylvania inheritance and federal estate tax returns and litigation for decedents and their families. He has also provided counsel to numerous landowners on oil and gas matters related to Marcellus Shale.
Currently, Attorney Kluger serves as Chairman of the Board of Luzerne Bank and Vice Chairman of the Board of Penns Woods Bancorp, having previously served on the Regional Board of Directors for Mellon Bank, N.A. He has presented many seminars and lectures on finance-related matters and governance of for-profit and not-for-profit organizations. He has served as lead counsel on real estate and financing matters in excess of $250,000,000, corporate sales in excess of $100,000,000, and multi-state workouts of national companies.
Attorney Kluger serves as a member of the Board of Trustees and legal counsel to King's College and to Wyoming Seminary College Preparatory School and has been solicitor for Luzerne County Community College for more than 24 years. A Pennsylvania Super Lawyer as designated by Super Lawyers Magazine, Attorney Kluger has been awarded the highest peer-review rating for ethical standards and professional ability by Martindale-Hubbell for more than 13 years. In addition, U.S. News & World Report has named HKQ Law, to its list of "Best Law Firms in America" for banking and finance law with a "Tier 1" listing for Northeastern Pennsylvania and the Lehigh Valley.
In addition to serving on the boards of banks, corporations and educational institutions, Attorney Kluger serves as the Chairman of the Board of the Greater Wilkes-Barre Development Corporation, and a member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors of the Greater Wilkes-Barre Chamber of Business and Industry. He was also the past Vice Chair of the Board of the Luzerne Foundation.
Attorney Kluger is also admitted to practice law in New York, England and Wales, is a former Assistant District Attorney and was previously an adjunct professor for the American Institute of Banking.
- Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn, 1989-Present
- Managing Principal, member of Business Team with emphasis on Banking, Creditor's Rights, Corporate, Business and Finance, Estate Planning/Probate/Trust & Real Estate Law
- Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1989
- Hamilton College, Bachelor of Science in Government, 1986
- Wyoming Seminary College Preparatory School, 1982
- Admitted for Practice:
- United States Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Superior Court of Pennsylvania
- Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Courts of Common Pleas
- Untied States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- New York State Courts
- Role for England and Wales
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Circle 200 Forum for Senior Executive Women Presenter at Board Excellence Series on "A View from the Board Chair"
- Audit Committee Forum with Parente Beard Presenter at Panel Discussion on "Best Practices and Communication Strategies Relevant to Audit Committees"
- Negotiation of Commercial Loan Documents Moderator, drafter and presenter of seminar for lawyers, lenders and accountants on all aspects of commercial lending and the negotiation of lending documentation
- Governance and Ethical Issues of Serving on Non-Profit Boards Annual sole presenter at year-end retreat on non-profit corporate board issues
- Estate Planning To Minimize PA State Inheritance and Federal Estate Tax Quarterly sole presenter at regionwide private seminar on Probate/Trust law
- Elements of Bankruptcy Code Section 362 Trials Moderator and mock jury presenter for lawyers and bankers on all aspects of a trial in a bankruptcy matter
- Living Wills, Powers of Attorney, Wills and Trusts for the Elderly Sole presenter for more than 8 years at the annual Masters Leadership Program for a private, not-for-profit entity on elder-care planning issues.
- Collection of Debts and Enforcement of Judgments for the Small Business Sole presenter in conjunction with the Wilkes University Small Business Development Program
- Legal Issues Facing Small Businesses Joint presenter for the Wilkes University Small Business Development Center on startup business issues
- Banking Law Adjunct professor for the American Institute of Banking
- Conflicts of Interest for Directors of Companies Sole presenter for numerous not-for-profit entities on pitfalls in conflict-of-interest issues
- Forbearance Agreements and Their Necessity in Workout Situations Presentation and legal memorandum addressing different banking groups on elements of forbearance in lending matters