Attorney James Shoemaker, a Principal on the firm’s Business Team, has been with HKQ Law since he graduated from New York Law School in 1991. Over the years, he has developed a practice focusing on creditor’s rights, which involves debt collections, mortgage foreclosures, representing creditors in bankruptcy proceedings, residential loan modifications, commercial loan workouts, and real estate matters.
Jim credits mentors like Attorney Allan Kluger, the firm’s most senior principal, for helping him develop his skills and work ethic as a lawyer, and enjoys the teamwork among HKQ Law’s attorneys and paralegals. Before law school, he earned a bachelor’s degree from New York University. A member of the Luzerne County and Pennsylvania bar associations, Attorney Shoemaker is admitted to practice before all state courts, federal courts and federal bankruptcy courts in Pennsylvania.
In addition to practicing law, Jim serves as Chairman of the Board of the North Branch Land Trust, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving open green space for future generations. He also serves on the Wyoming Commemorative Association, which puts on an observance of the Battle of Wyoming every July Fourth, and the Board of Governors of The Westmoreland Club.
In his spare time, he enjoys fly fishing and bird watching. He lives in Wyoming with his wife and three children.
- Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn, 1991-Present
- Principal, member of Business Team with emphasis on creditors’ rights, banking litigation, commercial litigation, banking and real estate
- New York Law School, Juris Doctor, 1991
- New York University, Bachelor of Arts, 1987
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Luzerne County Bar Association
- Admitted to Practice:
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Superior Court of Pennsylvania
- Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Courts of Common Pleas
- Pennsylvania Courts of Bankruptcy
- New York State Courts of Bankruptcy
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- New York State Courts
- Chairman of the Board, North Branch Land Trust
- Board Member, Wyoming Commemorative Association
- Past Board Member, Penn State University, Wilkes-Barre
- Past Board Member, Leadership Wilkes-Barre
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Creditors’ Rights Under Chapter 13 Bankruptcy
- Featured presenter at seminar program conducted by The Risk Management Association; excerpts published in RMA Journal of Enterprise Risk Management, March 2010